Thursday, February 11, 2010

First Post, New Season!

Since this is my first post for this blog, I suppose I should tell a little about myself to let you know who I am. My name is Jenna Kush, I am 25 years old and I'm in my last semester for my undergraduate degree in general studies with a certificate in leadership and ethics at Arizona State University. I am a native to Tempe, Arizona and I absolutely love living here in the Valley of the Sun. While growing up here, I have constantly been surrounded by sports. My absolute favorite is softball/baseball because I've been playing for about 15 years now. Although I love softball, football is another favorite of mine and you will always find me at the Sun Devil football games in the fall. GO DEVILS! It may appear that I am a total sports junkie but that is not necessarily the case. I enjoy all kinds of music, art and movies, I love going to movies! I'll leave it at that for now and there will be more about me later.

Those of you that are reading this probably already know that this blog is being kept for the purposes of documenting my experiences in my internship, but I just in case someone reads this and isn't a part of this internship class, that is why I'm keeping this blog. For my internship I am working as an Assistant Softball Coach for the JV team at Corona del Sol High School. This entire past week was try-outs for the girls. It's always interesting during try-out week to see the new freshman faces coming into our program and to see who has improved since last year. I have to say that I am impressed with the amount of talent our program will have on all levels. Our Freshman team will be stacked as well as our JV team. The Varsity team on the other hand is in a precarious situation. A lot of the leaders and pitchers from last year's team have graduated which means that some of the younger girls are going to have to step up their game. Our oldest pitchers in our program are only sophomores. I've been following our Head Varsity Coach all week long to see how she is dealing with the situation on hand. She's an amazing coach and there is a lot I can learn from her. Unfortunately during the week of try-outs we as coaches are not allowed to "coach" or "instruct" and of the girls. Therefore, I don't have much else to report on this weeks events other than I'm excited for the upcoming season.

One last bit of information before I finish my first post. I consider myself to be a very open and down to earth person. I welcome any comments, questions, advice or even constructive criticism. I know that for the requirements of this class we are supposed to comment on each others blogs, but I just want it to be known that if you have anything to say please feel free to let me know what is on your mind. Your feedback will hopefully allow me to gain a better understanding of my experiences. Thanks and I hope you enjoy reading about what I'm doing over the next couple of months!

4 comments:

  1. Is this your first time officially coaching softball? What are your thoughts about being on the other side of the coach/player relationship?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my fourth season coaching at the high school level. Altough, I clearly remember my first season ever coaching. I specifically remember what it was like to be on the other side of the coach/player relationship.

    After playing softball for so many years, I always saw my coaches as these authority figures that seemed to live in another world. To be a coach for the first time, the sensation of knowing that to the players I was their authority figure and maybe even a role model was unreal. It really made me think about making sure I watched my every move and every word because I know the players would be.

    The other interesting thing about being a coach for the first time was having meetings with the other coaches. Getting to know them on a more adult/personal level was refreshing.

    Also, I think being on the other side of the coach/player relationship also gives me a great perspective on how to relate to the players. Being that I'm only 25 and a female, I have a lot more in common with the players than a 40 year old male coach would. Especially since the high school program I coach at was the high school I went to. I've been through everything they're dealing with; not much has changed since I went to school there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must've been difficult to hold back in trying to help others during tryouts but now that you have your team you can share your exciting passion with them....=)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool job! Do you think you might do this as a profession or will it be in your spare time to give back to the community? I hope your team does well!

    ReplyDelete