Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Anti-Monster Job Search Webinar

Well I just attended my first webinar and I'm glad I did one. It was extremely convenient that I could attend a career workshop from my home. I have to say that I'm a feeling a little bit of information overload. Since this workshop was at night and it's the end of the semester I was the only person that joined the webinar, which was cool because I could work one on one with the host. However, there was still a lot of information covered and because it was all new to me it was hard to keep up. The experience as a whole was very enlightening but it also made me realize how much I don't know about finding a job. One thing I heard tonight that I keep hearing from everyone is that finding a job is all about networking. There's another webinar series that is titled Dynamic Networking and I really want to attend one just because tonight made me realize that much more how important it is to network.

A couple of things I learned from the webinar tonight other than I need to know how to network is that Monster.com and Careerbuilder.com really aren't all that helpful when trying to find a job. I think it's only 20% of the companies that exist post job on one of those popular job search sites. The other 80% can be found through other search methods that were discussed in the presentation. There were some really helpful tips for me to get started with. First I need to do some self assessment so that I can then figure out what kind of industry I want to even go into. My major is general studies with a certificate in leadership and ethics. I'm really not sure what I can even do with that type of a degree and it makes me feel a little bit uneasy. Either way, this workshop gave some links to some sites that I can do some free self assessments and I may even try to go to the career services center on campus and work with them on self assessment. Once I get the self assessment done I need to figure out what industry I want to go into and then follow a series of steps that help you find jobs that exist and most people don't know about. Unfortunately I'm still waiting on the e-mail I'm supposed to receive that has all the info from the presentation. In it is a worksheet that breaks down the process of finding a job. After attending this workshop I feel a little bit more optimistic about finding a job. It gave me somewhere to start which is something I didn't have. Hopefully with this workshop and some more research I plan on doing, I'll be able to find a job without too much complication.

No comments:

Post a Comment