Friday, May 7, 2010

This Is Why I Coach...

Now that I am a coach, I have taken my experiences and lessons learned as a player to share with the girls I work with. One of the main reasons I coach is so that I can share my wisdom and pass on my knowledge in all aspects of the game. To me it’s not just teaching mechanics, it’s about teaching life experiences. The very same politics and drama that I experienced as a player still exist today. Last year I was working with a club team called the Chandler Sting. They were an 18u team that had girls from the ages of 15 to 18. Working with this group of girls was extremely challenging due to the attitudes of some players. However, there were a select few that were hard workers and shared my passion of the game. My time with this team was only the fall and winter seasons before last years spring school season started. After last years school season, I decided not to return to the club team due to conflicts with the other coaches. That being said, one of the players from that club team that was a great kid to work with came to me asking a favor. When I met with her to help her out I asked how her school season went. She said that it went well but that she was quitting and would not be returning for her senior year. I then sat her down to talk with her about my experiences when I was in high school. I experienced a lot of the same problems she was describing and I actually didn't play my senior year. I urged her not to quit because looking back on it now, three months of my life is a minor blip in my existence. I would give almost anything to go back and change my decision of quitting the team. I told this girl that she needed to stick it out because her hard work and efforts would be worth while in the end regardless of whatever politics she may be battling. I tried to make this conversation as heart felt as possible because I would hate to see all of her talent go to waste.

It’s now almost a year later and I haven’t seen or talked to this girl since that conversation. I received a text message at the beginning of this season that said, “I just got home from my first day of try-outs. I almost didn’t go but I rememberd what you said to me last year about not quitting. I wanted to thank you for your encouragement because without it I might not be where I am now.” This was by far the proudest moment I have ever experienced as a leader. To know that the experiences and advice I gave to one of my former players stuck with her and influenced her life in a positive way makes all of my efforts worth while. All I want to do as a coach is be a positive influence on those I work with. I had many influential coaches growing up and now it’s my turn to pass on the favor. At the end of try-outs week I received another text message from the same girl. She said that she had made the varsity team and will be able to play her senior year in high school. I was touched that this girl had remembered what I said to her and that she wanted to contact me to inform me of her situation. I hope that as I continue coaching and leading those I work with I will continue to make a difference in their lives.

1 comment:

  1. That's great that you have such a passion for coaching and mentoring young players. Its moments like you just described that make it all worth it. I know because I used to teach karate and know what its like trying to get through to someone and the feeling when you learn you did. Good job and hope you keep coaching.

    ReplyDelete